Gorilla and Chimpanzee Habituation tours in Uganda
Gorilla and Chimpanzee Habituation tours in Uganda are some of the most interesting Uganda safari tour packages that give a traveler more time to spend with these primate species. Gorillas and chimpanzees are the major attractions that attract plenty of travelers from different parts of the world to engage in primate tours such as chimpanzee trekking, gorilla trekking, chimpanzee habituation, and gorilla habituation thus boosting the tourism sector of Uganda, the pearl of Africa.
Gorilla and chimpanzee habituation experiences in Uganda are among the most interesting and fascinating activities to engage in while on a primate viewing safari in Uganda. However these two are the least thought after activities as compared to Gorilla trekking and chimpanzee trekking tours which are the topmost activities that rarely miss out on any travelers travel bucket in Uganda.
Uganda the pearl of Africa is considered the prime destination for primate tours due to existence of more than a half of the population of mountain gorillas that are protected in Bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga national park in southwestern part of Uganda and more than 5000 chimpanzee species that are being protected from different national parks, game reserves, and sanctuaries in Uganda.
Gorilla Habituation Tours in Uganda:- Bwindi Impenetrable national park
Gorilla habituation is the process in which the travelers alongside researchers, armed UWA rangers and park tour guides trail deep in the forests in search of the Gorillas that have never been habituated and semi-habituated ones. Once a certain family is spotted, the trekkers take about four hours in presence of the mountain gorillas learning their different manners while making them get used to some behavior about how to get used to people hence preparing them for the gorilla trekking safari.
Gorilla habituation experience in Uganda is done in only one designated area, and that is none other than the southern part of Bwindi Impenetrable national park with in two sectors of Rushaga and Nkuringo sector. This gorilla habituation process takes roughly 2-3 years to make a certain gorilla family completely get used to human presence. And in Uganda, the gorilla habituation process goes for $1500 per person which is equivalent the gorilla trekking in Rwanda. Making Uganda one of the cheapest destinations to trek and habituate mountain gorillas. A maximum number of four habituators alongside the armed rangers, researchers and UWA guide are allowed to carry out gorilla habituation. An Itinerary for gorilla habituation in Bwindi impenetrable national park is easily combined with the Batwa experience who are the ancient forest dwellers that spent their lifetime in the forest together with the mighty Gorillas surviving on fruits , animals , wild honey and many more and they would obtain this food through hunting and gathering. During Gorilla habituation which ranges from half-day to full-day, habituators are in position to encounter several wildlife species that live in the forest without forgetting several bird species
Chimpanzee Habituation tours:- Kibale and Budongo
Chimpanzee habituation experience is the process through which researchers, rangers, habituators, hike through different trails in the forest in search of our closest cousins that share there 99% of DNA with human. In Uganda, chimpanzee habituation experience is best done in Kibale Forest national park, a home to 13 primate species which include Chimpanzees, Baboons, Uganda mangabey monkeys, Red colobus monkey, vervet monkey, L’Hoests monkey, black and white colobus monkey, blue monkeys, potto, among others that makes primate viewing in the Kibale national park one of the best and adventurous activities to do while on a primate viewing safari in the pearl of Africa. Chimpanzee habituation permit in Kibale forest national park costs $250 per permit per person, allowing habituators to spend at least 4 hours with the chimpanzees in their nature habitat. chimpanzee habituation experience involves habituators, armed rangers, researchers and the UWA guide who together trail via various trails in search of chimpanzee until a certain semi-habituated family is approached and then at least 4 hours’ time is allowed in presence chimpanzees learning more about their different habits while teaching them more and making them feel comfortable with human presence for easy trekking. Chimpanzee habituation is more fun as compared to chimpanzee trekking since habituation allows half to full-day experience in the jungle with the chimpanzees at an additional cost of $50 from the chimpanzee trekking which goes for $150 allowing just one hour with the chimpanzee. However the cost of chimpanzee habituation will be increased by $50 to make $250 with effective to July 2020, and the chimpanzee trekking permit will rise to $200 from the initial $150 per permit per person to enable chimpanzee trekking and habituation in Kibale forest national park. Note: Chimpanzee habituation can also be done in Budongo forest during the season but the prime destination to encounter chimpanzees is in Kibale forest national park
Rules for Gorilla and Chimpanzee habituation
- Always keep a distance of at least 8m between you and the chimpanzee or gorillas
- You aren’t supposed to consume any meals or drinks in the presence of Gorillas and chimpanzees
- Do not engage in the habituation process in case you aren’t fit medically, and physically since this activity requires a lot of energy to keep you moving all day long as you follow the shy primates that aren’t completely used to human presence. Even if you have a cold, do not risk to habituate these primates (chimpanzee and Gorillas) as they can easily acquire human diseases
- Keep your masks on during the chimpanzee and gorilla habituation and incase of sneezing try to turn and face away from them
- Try as much as possible to bury the waste products under the ground to avoid infesting gorillas and chimpanzees
- Do not litter the park, keep it clean at all times
- Try as much as possible to keep in the group during the hike in the forest
Similarities of Gorilla and Chimpanzee habituation
- First and foremost, both chimpanzees and gorillas are primates and their habituation starts early in the morning as they leave their nests and follow them up until the sun goes down and they start making nests for overnight
- Both chimpanzee habituation and gorilla habituation require 4 people alongside habituators, rangers, and researchers
- Both chimpanzee and gorilla trekking allows 4 hours in presence of primates which is always considered full day activity in addition to time spent trekking the primates before they settle
Difference between Gorilla and Chimpanzee habituation
The only difference between the two is habituation cost which chimpanzee habituation permit cost $200 whereas the gorilla habituation permit goes for $1500 yet allowing the same hours with the primates.