2 Days Mount Nyiragongo Hike
2 days Mount Nyiragongo hike is carried out in Virunga national park in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) allowing travelers to reach the summit and see Crater Lake at the top of the most volcanic mountain within Virunga massif. Mount Nyiragongo is elevated at 3,470m above the sea level bordering Goma town, Lake Kivu, north of Rwanda. Mount Nyiragongo eruption is always considered to be very dangerous with the last eruption causing very deadly distractions to the nearby town of Goma and Lake Kivu.
This 2 days mount Nyiragongo hike safari requires travelers to spend an overnight at least in the nearby places on Rwanda – Congo border. Let’s say in Gisenyi or Goma town and cross the following day for the activity which lasts only two days to make a round trip.
Important to note:
There are a lot of things to note before traveling for mount Nyiragongo hike and they include;
- You might opt to have an overnight with in Virunga at any of the three lodges which include Kibumba lodge, Mikeno lodge, and Bukima lodge.
- Remember you will be crossing a border between two countries, so organize your travel documents and get vaccinated against yellow fever
- Book your Mount Nyiragongo hiking permit in advance or a tour operator like achieve global safaris may do it for you
- Since the hike takes two days with an overnight at the summit, hikers are advised to plan in advance and book the cookers, tents and the sleeping bag to enhance their tour to summit the top of Mount Nyiragongo.
- Pack both cool and warm attires to be used during the day and at night since the top tends to be extremely cold at night
- A hiking stick will be provided at the park headquarters
- Pack enough drinking water to keep you hydrated during the hike
- Good hiking shoes and all that is required in a travelers backpack
Highlights of the 2 Days Mount Nyiragongo Hike
- Day 1: Ascend Mount Nyiragongo
- Day 2: Descend Mount Nyiragongo
Day 1: Ascend Mount Nyiragongo
- Ascend Mount Nyiragongo: On this day 1 of 2 days mount Nyiragongo hike tour, you will be picked up by our company driver from your designated place where you slept overnight and transfer to Virunga national park in DRC. The hike starts at 10:00am in the morning thus be at the starting point in time to avoid missing the adventurous tour.
- Briefing and Hike: Upon arrival at the park headquarters, hikers will be briefed about the dos and don’ts during the hike. And then driven to Kibati Ranger post the starting point for the hike. At Kibati, you will meet with the convoy, armed rangers and porters for hire. Use this only opportunity to hire the porter that will help you in carrying the backpack and proceed with the hike to summit the top which takes about 5-6 hours’ walk. During the hike, keep the eyes open to sight out different wildlife along the way which include mammals such as bushbuck, different species of birds and butterflies that will make mount Nyiragongo hike one of the memorable experience while on a Congo tour. Upon arrival at the top, you will have lunch and relax at the top of the mount Nyiragongo enjoying the cool breathe overlooking the entire Virunga national park from above and other mountains in the close vicinity to Nyiragongo. At night, you will surely enjoy the magnificent view of the lava lake as it glows due to raindrops since it normally rains almost every night.
Day 2: Descend Mount Nyiragongo
- Descend Mount Nyiragongo: On this day 2 and the last day of your tour, you will wake up early in the morning with breakfast at the top of Mount Nyiragongo and get ready to descend at exactly 6:30 am in the morning. Descending takes roughly 3 hours or even one hour since it involves sliding, rolling and falls as compared to ascending which is straining and tiring. Once at the base of mount Nyiragongo, you will be driven back to your lodge in DRC or in Rwanda for departures or to do other activities depending on the itinerary.
END OF YOUR 2 DAYS MOUNT NYIRAGONGO HIKE
The hike package includes;
- Mount Nyiragongo hiking permit
- A 4×4 safari vehicle with fuel
- All meals as per itinerary
- Enough bottled drinking water
- Pick up and drop off
- An English speaking tour guide/driver
The Hike package excludes;
- All travel expenses such as Visa and air ticket
- Domestic flights
- All activities not included on the Itinerary
- Alcoholic drinks and other beverages
- Airtime and email services
- Other personal expenses including phone calls, emails
- Life insurance
- Porter fee
Mount Nyiragongo hike still remains amongst the best and most engaged in activities by travelers all over the world and t can easily be combined with other activities such as Kigali city tour, gorilla trekking in Virunga national park and among others.