4 Days Mgahinga Primates Safari
4 Days Mgahinga Primates Safari is a short safari to western Uganda where a traveler gets to do gorilla trekking in Mgahinga and also golden monkey trekking. This 4 Days Mgahinga Primates Safari offers the best exploitation of Mgahinga Gorilla national park which is the second-best home for mountain gorillas in Uganda after Bwindi impenetrable national park. This safari will is very fascinating as you will spend a full hour in presence of mountain Gorillas after trekking them for about 2-7 hours, another hour in presence of the golden monkeys after tracking them for about 2-5 hours in the forest and finally enjoy the Batwa trail in the forest as you wind up with your safari. The safari starts from Kampala or Entebbe international airport and again ends in Kampala or Entebbe international airport.
Highlights of the 4 Days Mgahinga Primates Safari
- Day 1: Transfer from Kampala to Mgahinga national park and equator
- Day 2: Gorilla trekking and coffee tours
- Day 3: Golden monkey trekking and Batwa trail
- Day 4: Return to Kampala and departures
Day 1: Transfer from Kampala to Mgahinga national park
- Transfer to Mgahinga: On this day, depending on your arrival time, you will be picked up by our company driver from Entebbe international airport or from any hotel around Kampala City and transferred to Mgahinga national park in the south western Uganda which is an 9-10 hours’ drive with a stopover at the equator for some beautiful photographs and lunch at Igongo cultural hotel in Mbarara then proceed via Kabale road sighting different hills between Ntungamo and Kabale districts direct to Kisoro where you will arrive in the evening, check-in at mount Gahinga lodge for dinner and overnight
- Meal plan: Only Dinner
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking and Coffee tours
- Gorilla Trekking: This is the second and best awaited day of your Uganda Gorilla safari. You need to wake up pretty early at around 5:30 am, have your breakfast at the lodge, and pack your lunch box provided at the lodge and meet with your driver to transfer to the park headquarters for a briefing before starting the trek. After the briefing, you will be provided with the armed rangers and you trail through the forest in search of the gorilla family which takes around 2-8 hours depending on the trekking speed and the distance moved by the particular gorilla family. Once a habituated family is located, only one hour is given in the presence of the gorillas taking photographs, and interacting with the Gorillas. During the gorilla trekking, you will see several bird species and other mammals that dwell in the forest that will give you an awesome experience.
- Coffee Tour: After the Gorilla Trekking, meet with your driver and go for an evening coffee tour near Lake Mutanda where you will get in touch with the coffee farmers that will elaborate the entire process of coffee production process right from planting, harvesting, drying, roasting, grinding, packing and finally have a taste of the finished coffee before returning to your lodge for dinner and overnight.
- Meal plan: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Day 3: Golden Monkey Trekking and the Batwa trail
- Golden Monkey Trekking: On the 3rd day of the trip, you will still be in the place where Gold meets silver so you will wake early in the morning enjoy your breakfast and pack your lunch and meet with your driver to start the tracking in the forest. Since the monkeys are very many in Mgahinga national park, be sure to spot as many troops of golden monkeys as you can. Golden Monkey Trekking takes around 2-5 hours and once a certain troop is located, only one hour is given to the visitors in the presence of these monkeys. During the tracking keep your eyes open in the forest for the possibility of sighting out several bird species and other mammals.
- Batwa Experience: After the tracking, meet with your driver and enroute for the Batwa trail experience for another fascinating activity where will trail into the forest with the help of the local Batwa guides through the thick blush as they explain about their ancient lifestyle in the forest as hunters and gatherers and picking out some tree species that they used as the medicine and by the end of the trail, you will meet the Ngarama cave where the community women sing sorrowful traditional songs that echoes deep into the dark cave. Return to your lodge for dinner and overnight.
- Meal plan: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Day 4: Return to Kampala
- Return to Kampala: This is the last day of your 4 Days Mgahinga Primates Safari. Wake up in the morning, enjoy your breakfast, check out of the lodge, and meet with your driver to start your journey back to Kampala with a stopover in Mbarara for lunch at Igongo cultural center. After lunch drives direct to Kampala where you will be dropped in Kampala or at Entebbe international airport.
- Meal plan: Breakfast and lunch.
The itinerary includes
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Golden monkey tracking permit
- Batwa trail
- Coffee tours fees
- A 4×4 safari vehicle with fuel
- Equator fee
- Accommodation as per itinerary
- All meals as per itinerary
- All bottled drinking water
- An English speaking guide
- All travel expenses such as visa and tickets
- Alcoholic drinks
- Airtime and email services
- And all other personal needs
- Life insurance
As usual, visitors who opt for gorilla trekking in Mgahinga national park together with the Golden monkey tracking and Batwa trail enjoy the best trek in a less congested park due to the fact that the park has one habituated Nyakagezi gorilla family and the one that joined the park in October 2019 from Hirwa gorilla family in Rwanda making it two gorilla families though we aren’t sure of whether it will return to Rwanda or remain in Uganda as per the Uganda Wildlife Authority, the Hirwa family is available for trekking from Uganda.
End of 4 Days Mgahinga Primates Safari
See also: 3 Days Mgahinga Gorilla Trekking