2 Days Murchison Falls tour is very short if not the shortest safari to Murchison falls national park where you will see a lot of wildlife in the shortest time. Murchison Falls National Park is the biggest park in Uganda covering about 3,840 sq.km and is located in northwestern Uganda.
On your 2 days Murchison falls tour, be sure to sight out several mammals including the Buffalos, elephants, lions, leopards, antelopes, grey duiker, bushbuck, hyenas, hippos, crocodiles, nocturnal mammals, several bird species, the water waves and the Murchison waterfalls among others that will make your trip a colorful one. Murchison falls can be visited any time throughout the year, but the best time is the dry season when you will be able to see all the animals gather along the River Nile bank in search of water.
Highlights of the activities to be carried out throughout a two days Murchison falls safari include;
- Boat cruise
- Morning game drive
- Top of fall hiking (optional)
- Rhino trekking (optional activity is done outside the park)
Itinerary for the 2 days Murchison falls safari
Day 1: Travel to Murchison falls national park – Boat cruise and an optional top of the fall hike
- Transfer to Murchison Falls National Park: Get up very early in the morning around 5:00 am, take your breakfast and prepare yourself for a pick up at your designated location as discussed and agreed with your tour consultant. It should be inside Kampala or a nearby place for easy allocation and catching up with time. At around 6:30 am, your journey will begin from your location heading to Murchison falls park and it’s a 5-6 hours’ drive. You will make a stopover and have lunch at Kabalega resort in Masindi district and then proceed to the park to check-in at the pakuba lodge.
- Boat Cruise: After checking in, freshen up and prepare yourself for the boat cruise which starts at 2:00 pm so make sure that you reach and board the boat in time to avoid missing this interesting and life taking experience. A 2-3 hour cruise will offer you an opportunity to watch several wildlife species at the bank of river Nile such as bathing Hippos as they cool their huge bodies from the hot afternoon sun, buffalos, elephants, warthogs, and many more mammals as they drink water from the same river that you are sailing on. Also keep an eye to the beautiful bird species including the African fish eagles, Egrets, Bee-eaters, the water birds and many more at your fingertips
- Hike to the top of the falls: After the boat cruise, you may proceed and do a top of falls/hiking. you will hike up to the top of the Murchison falls and in the process you will be able to view the attire waterfall at glance, the white water waves and on getting to the top, you will enjoy the breeze of the fresh air coming from down the falls as you watch the park from above, watching several bird species, and mammals. On top of the falls, you will meet your driver waiting for you to return you back to the pakuba lodge where you will freshen up, have your dinner and then take a rest since your first day will be done.
“Note: Top of fall is a tiring but enjoyable experience thus to do it, you need to be physically fit and in good health because it needs a lot of energy to reach the top.”
Day 2: Morning game drive and return to Kampala with an option of Rhino trekking
- Morning Game Drive: Wake up very early in the morning at around 5:30am take your shower, enjoy your breakfast very fast and then park your things to leave the lodge. Check out and meet your guide/driver and set off for the morning game drive which starts at exactly 6:30am. At this time, you will have a great opportunity for sighting out some Nocturnal mammals before they run back to their hideouts where they normally stay during the day. More mammals will be seen grazing and even those seen previously during the boat cruise including lions, buffalos, giraffes and several bird species including the ones seen during the boat cruise. The major aim of the morning game drive is to enable you to see the Nocturnal mammals and watch all other animals and birds which you could have missed during the boat cruise. This activity will take around 5-6 hours.
- Rhino Trekking & Transfer to Kampala: After the morning game drive exit the park and make a stopover at Ziwa Rhino sanctuary in Masindi and do the rhino trekking, to sum up, your dream of watching all the big five including the leopards, elephants, lions, buffalos, and rhinos. Finally, your driver will drive you back to Kampala City at your lodge or any nearest bus stop in case you want to board a bus to another safari, or to Entebbe international airport in case you want to depart.
End of the 2 Days Murchison Falls tour
“Taking a boat cruise on the river Nile is such an interesting opportunity that every visitor on a Uganda safari especially in Murchison falls national park with its beautiful flora and fauna will never miss out”
What to prepare before your Murchison falls safari
- First and foremost, make sure that you arrive in Kampala a day before you begin your safari
- For the hiking-lovers prepare your light hiking shoes and warm-up for the top of fall hikes
- Your camera should not miss out in your backpack because you will need to capture the beautiful memories while on your safari
- And finally, keep in touch with your tour consultant and the tour guide allocated to you to enjoy your safari
See also: 4 Days Murchison Falls Wildlife Tour